Saturday, October 4, 2008

Voting

Everywhere I go, I hear, or read, people saying, "Remember to vote!" Then followed by things like "you can't complain if you don't vote", or "I don't care who you vote for, just do it".

I disagree.

I'm not voting. I'm not registered to vote. The biggest reason is because keeping up on politics doesn't interest me. I don't know enough about either candidate to make an educated decision on who would be better for our country. They both have pros and cons, I know that, but I don't know who would be better and I don't care to take time to do all that research. It just doesn't interest me at all. We don't need a whole country of people flipping a coin to see who they're going to vote for. That's not what voting is for. I'll leave those decisions to people who are knowledgeable and can give an expert, or at least smart, vote.

I'm going to take that time, instead of researching politics, to go play with my son. He's getting pretty good at playing catch, for a 16 month old. No matter who becomes president next, the world is still going to be going in the same direction and who knows, maybe the only thing I'll have left in the end is my son. I think I'll be glad for that relationship with him and the fact that we have something fun to do together.

2 comments:

Kmelanese said...

I have to agree with you 100%!

Anonymous said...

yes, I do agree with you. I think that if you don't care, if you're not going to take the time to look up the issues, etc, yeah, don't vote. Maybe you should care... I'm really trying hard to care... I even watched the last presidential debate, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I just get so confused over all of it. I think it is important to care about who is going to lead our future and the future of our children. Whoever ends up being president and senator and governor and everything will make decisions that will affect our future. But... I try to read up about them and stuff but I really don't understand most of what they talk about. All I got out of the debate was that they both called each other liars and that Obama is a better debater. Plus, living in Utah I don't think my vote will really do all that much... sigh. I don't know. You're smart just to stay out of it.