Thursday, April 23, 2009

"The best pot roast I've ever had."

That's what Joshua said about dinner tonight. So, I thought I'd post my recipe so I could make it again sometime, and maybe someone else will be able to use it too. Joshua's favorite food is pot roast, which means two things: a) I already knew what his answer would be when I asked him what he wanted for his birthday dinner, and b) he's probably had a few good pot roasts in his life to be able to classify it as his "favorite".

Anyway, here's what I did:

First, I poured some baby carrots in the bottom of the crock pot.
Then I chopped up about a tablespoon or two of butter on the carrots, plus some salt and pepper.
Next, I put the meat on top of the carrots. It was a Cross Rib Roast. (The guy at the store said is similar to a Chuck Pot Roast. I'll trust him.) This one happened to be 2.9 lbs.
Then I sprinkled a packet of McCormick Pot Roast seasoning on the meat. (It came with a bag to use in the oven, but I opted to do crock pot instead.)
Then I spread a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup over the meat.
Last, I filled that now empty can halfway with water and poured it in the crock pot.

Then I put the lid on, turned it to low, and let it sit for about 6 hours.

It took maybe 5 minutes to prep. I didn't even have to chop carrots since I just used baby carrots. I also made some instant mashed potatoes to go with it, nothing special there.

I guess it turned out pretty good. :)






PS Joshua's birthday was actually yesterday. He's an old man of 26 now. ;) I was going to make this dinner for him yesterday, but his family wanted to celebrate with him so we put it off until today. Nicolette BBQed some hot dogs, and we just hung out and played Guitar Hero World Tour until it was time to go watch Joshua and Jefferson play softball. Joshua was pretty excited that his whole family would come watch his game on his birthday!

1 comment:

Janna said...

Happy Birthday to Joshua.

I'll have to try the pot roast. That sounds good.